Change in the field node…

We got our hands on some old self supporting TV antenna towers and have migrated the field node’s electronics to a small twenty foot tall tower. This tower has been screwed to an old piece of plastic tunneling, which was filled with sand bags to hold the tower upright. This keeps the tower mobile and allows us to use it at different sites if we choose.

We still need to figure out how to add the solar powered part of the project, as doing so will require some form of framing to be built to secure the panels to the tower. Also, a better battery bank needs to be put together. The current battery is starting to show signs of failure, which would be from both age and the type of use we put on it. (car batteries are meant for constant loads like this)

We have also added a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to the tower. This SBC is currently setup to serve webpages, host a chat server and act as an FTP server. We tried running asterisk/freepbx on the SBC, but it proved to be a little too much of a task for it.